Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
How to transfer audiobooks to an iPhone, iPad, or iPod using OverDrive for Windows
You can transfer audiobooks from your computer to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using OverDrive for Windows (desktop).
What you need
- Plug your Apple device into your computer. If iTunes does not automatically open, please open it now.
- Open the OverDrive desktop app and select a title. Click the Transfer button.
Note: If you're using OverDrive for Windows 8, you can click Transfer from the audiobook player to open the transfer wizard on your desktop. You must also have the desktop version of our app installed to transfer titles.
- When the transfer wizard opens, click Next so the app can detect your device.
- When your device is detected, make sure "Apple device" is selected under "Player." Click Next.
- If you see the following message, follow the instructions to enable "Manually manage music" on your Apple device.
When completed, click OK to close the prompt. This will take you back to the transfer wizard.
Note: If you're transferring WMA titles, the alternative method of transferring to your iTunes library won't be available. Only MP3 titles can be transferred to iTunes.
- Click Next to continue.
If you're transferring a WMA title, the "AAC Encoder Import Setting" window may open, suggesting you change your AAC import settings to quicken the transfer.
This is an optional setting that can be found in iTunes. If you make changes, click Refresh to make sure your new settings match the recommended settings.
- Click Next to start the transfer.
- When complete, click Finish to close the wizard.
How to find audiobooks transferred to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod
You'll find transferred WMA audiobooks under "Playlists" on your device and MP3 audiobooks under Music > Albums.