Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Install the OverDrive app
- Open the Chrome Web Store on your Chromebook.
- Search for OverDrive.
- Select the Free button next to the OverDrive app (in the "Apps" section of your search results), then select Add to begin installing the app.
- When the app finishes installing, you'll find it by selecting the launcher icon () on your Chromebook and then choosing the OverDrive icon ().
LAST UPDATED: NOV 25, 2014
borrow a title
Open the OverDrive app, follow the prompts to create an OverDrive account, and log in. If you're under 13, select I am under 13 years oldinstead.
In the OverDrive app, find your library's OverDrive website. You can do this by opening the Home menu (select the OverDrive icon in the top-left corner), then selecting Add a library.
- Click or tap the star to save your library to your library list.
- Click or tap your library's name to start browsing.
Log into your library's OverDrive website with your library card, then borrow a title.
Find borrowed titles under your account on your library's OverDrive website. You can:
- Download EPUB eBooks and MP3 audiobooks directly to the OverDrive app.
- Tap Read to open and read OverDrive Read right in your browser.
Note: If you want to get Kindle Books (U.S. only) or streaming videos on your Chromebook, use your Chrome web browser instead of the OverDrive app to borrow those formats.
OverDrive Read, Kindle, and Streaming video on a Chrome
With a Chromebook, you can use your web browser to read OverDrive Read eBooks, Kindle Books (U.S. only) or watch streaming video from your library. You'll need Chrome to read or watch.
(You can also install the OverDrive app to get downloadable eBooks and audiobooks. Steps see the right)
- Find and open your library's digital collection.
- Look for a title that's available to borrow. You can:
- Run a search
- Browse the titles on the home page.
- Use the menu at the top of the page to browse categories.
- When you find an eBook that looks interesting, mouse over it and click more to view its details page.
On an eBook's details page, make sure that OverDrive Read, or Kindle Book (U.S. only) is listed under "Available formats."
- Click Borrow to check it out.
If prompted, sign in.
- Your library bookshelf will open, displaying title(s) you've borrowed. From here, you can:
- Tap Read (In your browser) to open the eBook with OverDrive Read.
- Select Play to open the streaming video in your browser.
- Or, select Kindle Book (U.S. only) from the Download list to complete checkout on Amazon's website and send the title to your Kindle device, Kindle reading app, or Kindle Cloud Reader.