Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Kindles are a line of popular eBook readers from Amazon designed to work with
the Kindle Book format (available to U.S. libraries only).
This profile covers E Ink Kindle devices, like the original Kindle and the Kindle Paperwhite.
We have a separate device profile for Kindle Fire tablets (the Kindle Fire, Fire HD,
and Fire HDX), which are compatible with more digital formats.
Some examples of Kindles
- Kindle Paperwhite
- Kindle Paperwhite 3G
- Kindle DX
Checkout & Download to Your Kindle Reader
- From your Kindle or PC, go to the Library home page.
- Click on The Digital Library.
- Click on ebooks & entertainment from the left.
- Find the Overdrive icon and click. You'll be led to our Overdive site.
- Click on Sign In on the top right of the page and put in your library card number.
- Choose your book (make sure you choose the Kindle book format!) and click Borrow.
- Click the Get for Kindle button. This opens the Amazon.com website. You may be required to sign in with your Amazon.com account if you are not already logged in.
- Select a Kindle device or Kindle reading app.
- Click the Get Library Book Button and sync your device or app to download the book, or choose to send it to your device via USB. (The newer Kindles sync automatically).
NOTE: An active Wi-Fi connection is required for wireless delivery to a Kindle device. If your Kindle is not Wi-Fi capable or you do not have an active Wi-Fi connection, read Amazon's instructions for transferring files via USB.
Return Your Kindle Books
If you're finished with the loaned book and wish to return it, you can do so from the 'Your Kindle Library' section of 'Manage Your Kindle' on Amazon.com
Find the loaned title on your list of items.
Locate the Actions pull down menu at the end of the line.
Choose Return this Book from the menu. A Return Loan Confirmation box will pop up asking whether or not you really want to return the book to the library.