Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Let Louisiana Shine
TRY A TIP FROM THIS LIST!
- Keep your garbage bags tied tight and cover your bins to shield trash from the wind and wildlife.
- Keep a garbage bag in your vehicle and dispose of your trash properly when you get home.
- Don’t toss cigarette butts out your vehicle window! Get a travel ashtray to keep butts off our roadways.
- Check the bed of your truck to ensure it’s free of trash and debris that could fly out and become litter.
- When transporting large items, secure your load with tarps, nets, or tie-downs.
- Don’t toss food or food containers onto roadways. Not only is this litter unsightly, it can also kill wildlife.
- When you see it, pick it up with gloves or grabbers.
- Organize a litter cleanup or volunteer for one in your community.
- Use a reusable grocery bag to reduce the number of plastic bags that become litter.
- Spread the word! Share photos and videos showcasing Louisiana’s beauty and what you’re doing to protect it with the hashtag #LetLouisianaShine.
- 90% of U.S. residents agree that litter is a problem in their state.
- Of the 50 billion pieces of litter, 24 billion are along roadways and 26 billion are along waterways.
- An estimated 207 million PPE items were littered on U.S. roadways and waterways through early fall 2020.
- More than 2,000 pieces of litter per mile.
From the 2020 National Litter Study
Local Anti-Litter Resources
TED Talk: Jeff Kirschner on Litter