Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What should I do before I get a car title loan?
Before you get a car title loan, consider other choices:
- Can I get a loan from a bank or credit union?
- Can I get more time to pay my bills by talking with creditors or a credit counselor?
- Do I have any money saved that I can use?
- Can I borrow money from family or friends?
- Can I use a credit card instead?
How do I choose which way to borrow money?
Compare the costs, if you have more than one option. For each choice, find out:
- what is the APR?
- what are the fees?
- how soon must I repay the money?
- what happens if I cannot repay?
Write the answers to these questions. Decide which choice is best for you.
I decided to get a car title loan. What should I do?
- ask the lender to tell you how much it will cost in dollars
- ask the lender to tell you the APR
- borrow only what you can repay by the date the loan is due.